Is Cortana not working on your Windows 10 PC? Read this tutorial to learn about potential solutions to this problem. In this post, I’ll teach you how to enable Cortana’s voice activation and Microphone permissions to solve Windows 10 Cortana when it’s not working. You will learn how to resolve the issue by restarting Windows Explorer.
You will also learn how to re-register Cortana on Windows 10 if it is not working. This tutorial includes a FAQ section at the conclusion to make matters even better.
This part aims to address some of the often asked issues about this issue.
How To Fix Cortana not working in Windows 10
Fix Cortana not working in Windows 10 by enabling Cortana’s voice activation and microphone permissions.
Cortana not working in Windows 10 because voice activation and Microphone permissions are not enabled. As a result, to resolve the issue, you must allow Cortana’s voice activation and microphone permission.
Follow the procedures below to do this.
1. Enter “Cortana” into the Windows 10 search box. Then, from the search results, pick the Cortana program.
2. When the Cortana app appears, select Settings by clicking the three horizontal dots in the top-left corner.
3. Click Voice activation on the Cortana settings page.
4. You will get a warning command that says, “You have not enabled all needed rights.” As a result, click the Voice activation privacy settings option.
5. Following that, Windows 10 settings will appear. Scroll down and enable Allow Cortana to react to the “Cortana” keyword and Use Cortana even when my device is locked.
6. When you close the Settings window, you’ll find that All needed rights are set in green. Then, click the arrow in the upper left corner to return to Cortana’s settings page.
7. Click Microphone on the Cortana settings screen.
8. After that, choose Microphone Permissions.
9. Then, click Change in the Allow access to the Microphone on this device category. As a result, ensure that Microphone access for this device is enabled.
10. Scroll down and check if Cortana is enabled under the Choose Which Microsoft Store apps may use your microphone category. If it isn’t, allow it with the toggle next to it and dismiss the Settings box.
After that, Cortana should generally function on your Windows 10 PC. If it isn’t, try the following remedy down below.
Restarting Windows Explorer may enable Windows 10 Cortana to work again.
When Windows 10 Cortana not working, restarting Windows Explorer sometimes help. Follow the instructions below to restart Windows Explorer on your Windows 10 PC.
- Select Task Manager from the Windows 10 Start menu by right-clicking.
- Task Manager should open on the Processes tab by default. As a result, scroll down to find Windows Explorer.
- Then, in Windows Explorer, right-click and select Restart.
- After that, check to see if Cortana is working on your Windows 10 PC. If not, see the ultimate answer in this tutorial.
Fix Cortana not working in Windows 10 by re-registering Cortana.
Re-registering Windows 10 Cortana is another approach to get it to operate again. To complete this activity, follow the procedures outlined below.
- In the Windows 10 search, type “PowerShell.” Then, right-click the Windows PowerShell software from the search results and select Run as Administrator.
- Following that, you will get a User Account Control window asking for permission to enable the program to make modifications to your device; select Yes to continue.
- When the PowerShell software finally launches, enter the instructions below and click the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Get-AppxPackage -EveryUser Foreach Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)AppXManifest.xml” Microsoft.549981C3F5F10
- PowerShell will then proceed to process the command and re-register Cortana. As a result, restart your computer after the order has been completed, and Cortana should start working.
Frequently Asked Questions About Troubleshooting Windows 10 Cortana
1. Why Cortana not working?
Cortana may not be operating on your Windows 10 PC for a variety of reasons. Cortana’s microphone permission being disabled is one among these explanations, as is interference from another process.
2. How to Reset Cortana
Do the following to reset Cortana on your Windows 10 PC.
a) In the Windows 10 search bar, type “Cortana.”
b) From the search results, right-click the Cortana app and select App settings.
c) Scroll down and hit Reset when the Cortana app settings appear. When you select Reset, Windows displays another pop-up requesting confirmation that you wish to reset Cortana.
d) Click Reset again to restart Cortana.
3. What Is Windows 10’s Cortana?
Cortana is Microsoft’s voice-enabled virtual assistant in Windows 10 that aids productivity activities.
4. Does Cortana cause Windows 10 to slow down?
Cortana is a digital assistant in Windows 10, which means it operates mainly in the background. However, background activities might cause your computer to slow down.
5. Does Cortana always pay attention?
Cortana is constantly listening if it is active and working correctly.
Final Thoughts on Resolving Cortana not working in Windows 10
Cortana fans may be irritated when Windows 10 Cortana fails to respond to their orders. Fortunately, this tutorial provides multiple answers to this issue.
More specifically, we covered how to resolve the problem by granting Cortana voice activation and microphone capabilities. We also discussed restarting Windows Explorer to resolve the issue. Finally, we discovered how to resolve the issue by re-registering Cortana.